Announcing the SFIOFF 2016 Awards!
Every year the San Francisco International Ocean Film Festival (SFIOFF) selects films from scores of submissions that tell unique stories about the ocean and inspire people to care for it.
When selecting the awards in eleven categories this year, we looked for the films that best show the diversity and beauty of the ocean, and how we can all work together to preserve our world’s most important resource.
The 13th Annual SFIOFF is pleased to announce the 2016 Award Winners:
- Director’s Award: The Weekend Sailor (Mexico), Director, Bernardo Arsuaga
- Ocean Science Award: Antarctic Edge: 70 Degrees South (USA), Director Dena Seidel*
- Golden Gate Award: Great Highway: Journey to the Soul of San Francisco Surfing (USA), Director Mark Gunson*
- Conservation Award: On the Brink: Uncharted Waters (USA), Director Vincent Soberano*
- Animation Award: FINconceivable (USA), Director Lily Williams*
- Coastal Culture Award: SILA and the Gatekeepers of the Arctic (USA), Director Corina Gamma*
- Wildlife Award: Speechless – The Polar Realm (New Zealand), Director Richard Sidey
- Adventure Award: The Hand of Franklin (Canada), Director Frank Wolf
- Short Award: The Great Wide Open (Ireland), Director Ciarán Dooley
- Innovation Award: We Live Underwater (Germany), Director Hendrik S. Schmitt
The filmmakers marked with an asterisk (*) are scheduled to be at the screening of their films during the festival and will participate in a live Q&A.
Congratulations to the 2016 winners!
Be sure to catch these award-winning films plus dozens of others, as well as special panel discussions, the Opening Night Gala, Student Film Competition, and a chance to meet fellow ocean-lovers. It all happens March 10 – 13 at the Cowell Theater at Fort Mason.
Reserve your tickets on Eventbrite today!
Questions? Contact us.